Sunday, February 17, 2008

Ready or not

Does it seem fair?
I’ve been told life isn’t fair.
But I’ve also been told
School is preparing for life.
School is childhood.
So childhood ain’t life.
There’s no need
To treat me like a person
Therefore.
Sure you’re an adult
Sure you think you’re “wiser”
Thinking that doesn’t seem very wise to me
Age is relative, you see.
I understand that you understand that
But why does that idea seem so flat?
Why are you the boss?
Is it in the rules?
You’re allowed to yell
You’re allowed to swear
And you’re also allowed
To love.
“Young love isn’t real,”
I’ve been told.
“You need to learn what love is
And after years, you’ll be ready.”
Well I’ve been ready since I was ten.
And every day I wonder when.
When will the sun go dark?
When will I seem my age?
When will I stop asking “when” and start living?
The time is now.
After years
I’m ready.
I’m ready.

-Kara

No comments: